(This blog entry covers a selection of the work completed between the 1st and 7th of May)

At the beginning of the week I got some last minute feedback from another tutor on my project:

  • The twisting of the mug action feels out of place, there doesn’t seem to be a reason for them to be moving it while so exasperated and frustrated.
  • Some of the hand and head movement seems to be moving in straight lines, so add some dip and arc to their movement.
  • The ‘Playing with Magnets’ line doesn’t seem to have any animation.

I started improvements by first going through the animation adding some additional arcs and movement to the head and hands, hopefully giving them more rounded movement. I also made minor edits to the scene, like diming the illumination on the lamp, as there was too much glare on it.

So apart from the second piece of feedback, I was apparently still having trouble getting across some of the main characters intentions to why he’s acting at certain points in the animation, and that there are two other characters out of the shot.

To try and fix the issue with the first piece of feedback, I exaggerated the swipe across the scene at 13 seconds in, so the mugs movement when it’s hit is now more noticeable. I also edited the following movement so instead of the left hand going immediately back to the desk, it begins to move the mug back into position. But when they go to turn the mug, the action they perform later in the animation, they instead go into their next exasperated motion leaving the mug un-turned, which should hopefully give people an idea on why they turn the mug later.

frame435

While doing this I was also given the advice that instead of rendering the video using the inbuilt Depth of Field function, I should instead look into using a green screen to separate the foreground and background (I go into further detail about my research into this in the next blog entry).

Now that I knew I had the ability to add multiple layers to the animation without having to render the entire animation with depth of field again. I decided that I would be able to add two entirely new characters into the extreme foreground. As adding these two new characters should fix the issue I was having in the third piece of feedback where people weren’t understanding that there were two characters out of shot.

But before I started any animation on new characters, I first wanted to see if the composition of the shot would still work when they are added into the extreme foreground, as that was not a concept I had earlier developed on or thought of.

I first edited my project so I could use the back wall as a green screen. I rendered the foreground and background separately, which I then placed into Premiere. A Blur was then applied to the background to give it the Depth of Field effect. From there I hid both the background and foreground, and placed the character in two positions, to mimic two additional characters in front of the main character.

Placing the two new characters directly on top of the scene in premiere originally didn’t work. I found that they took up too much space along the pillars, breaking up the shape of the desk. So to fix that issue, I made the original shot take up less space in the scene, So the 2 additional characters didn’t overlap into the central square.

Frame-Resize

Switching to using a green screen instead of using a depth of field effect significantly lowered my render times.

To put into comparison, the old render times for my entire video would have added up to 40 hours. Whereas now, using the green screen effect, the render times have dropped to 4 hours. This reduced render time allowed me to make the changes and additions to the animation in the previous blog entry in this last week.

Advertisements